Lightning Experience comes up with a new User Experience and tons of features. If your org is ready for Lightning migration, As an admin, You might want to know how you can give lightning access to user.
Admin have ability to give access on both Profile and User Level. Be cautious to give access on profile level when you are not ready for Lightning and starting a pilot for Lightning Migration.
When you enable Lightning in your Org, All the standard profile users will get the Lightning access and you cannot turn it off.
Before enabling the Lightning Experience in your Org, Make sure all the functionality works fine for your Standard profile users.
Enabling Lightning Access on Profile Level for Custom Profiles
- Click on Setup
- In Administer, expand Manage Users
- Click on Profiles >
- Select the Profile name
- Click on System Permission
- Enable Lightning Experience User checkbox
If you notice in the above image, there are two things highlighted:-
- Hide Option to Switch to Salesforce Classic
- Lightning Experience User
Note:- When you want Users related to a particular profile should not switch back to classic, You need to enable checkbox for Hide Option to Switch to Salesforce Classic in above setting. If you have selected Lightning Experience user checkbox alone, Profile user will get access to Lightning but they can switch to classic anytime by clicking on switch back to Classic option.
Enabling Lightning Access on User Level using Permission Set
If the requirement is to give access on user level rather than Profile level, Admin can create permission set having lightning access enabled and assign to user directly.
This approach would be helpful when you are doing pilot for lightning with some super user.
Note:- While creating permission set, You should create two permission set:-
- With Switch back to Classic Option
- Without Switch back to Classic option
Also, avoid assigning a license to your permission set, otherwise you will end up creating two permission set for each license for e.g. Salesforce, Company Communities, Chatter free etc.
Steps to create:-
- From Setup, enter Permission Sets in the Quick Find box, then select Permission Sets.
- Click New.
- Enter your permission set information.
- Select the types of users for the permission set.When you create a permission set, you select a specific user or permission set license. If only users with one type of license can use the permission set, select the license that’s associated with the users. For example, to create a permission set for users with
- the Salesforce license, select Salesforce. You can enable permissions only allowed in the Salesforce license.
- the Identity Connect permission set license, select Identity Connect. You can enable permissions only allowed in the Identity Connect license.
- different licenses, select None. Not selecting a specific license allows you to assign the permission set to any user whose license allows the permissions you enable in the permission set. For example, to assign the permission set to users with the Salesforce license and to users with the Salesforce Platform license, select None.
- Click on System Permission
- Enable Lightning Experience User checkbox only if you want to give ability to switch back to classic, if not enable Hide Option to Switch to Salesforce Classic too.
Once you have both the Permission set, You can do a dataload using dataloader to assign permission set to Users.